The African Palliative Care Association (APCA) is a pan-African organization located in Kampala, Uganda.
The organization exists to ensure that palliative care is underpinned by evidence, widely understood and integrated into all health systems to reduce pain and suffering associated with life-limiting illnesses across Africa.
APCA works through a network of national, regional and international partnerships and we are currently seeking a self-directed and highly motivated individual to join our staff as a Research Assistant to work on HIV costing project.
Main areas of responsibility
The Research Assistant will be responsible for quality data collection and management, alongside ensuring that all timelines and milestones are achieved. Other responsibilities will include:
- To recruit and maintain thorough records of patients and carers interviewed;
- To liaise with relevant staff at the various HIV care centres and organizations and collect targeted costing data;
- To work flexibly and in collaboration with staff in the relevant study organizations involved in the projects;
- To maintain strict confidentiality of any patient / family / staff information;
- To undertake literature reviews and searches, and collaborate on other research projects as appropriate, and consistent with APCA’s needs, and;
- Any other duties consistent, as agreed with the Executive Director or the Director of Learning and Research at APCA.
Education and aptitude
The person is expected to hold a degree in a relevant discipline in the health or social sciences, or a similar filed. The candidate must also:
- Have a good understanding of the key principles of data protection regarding human research subjects;
- Be able to work well with others and work as a team, with the following qualities:
- Good oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good written communication skills;
- Good organizational skills;
- Good working knowledge of Ugandan health systems, and;
- Basic skills in health economics.
Job-related experience and knowledge
Previous research experience of interviewing or working with patients and / or families and professionals in health or social care, document reviews, maintaining accurate databases, and sound computing skills (including word-processing, databases, reference manager, SPSS, and graphics packages).
Terms and salary
The contract is for 10 months and the candidate should be ready to start immediately. APCA will offer a competitive salary commensurate with the candidate’s skills and experience.
How to apply
Please send your full CV, covering letter, and the names of two referees to Jobs@africanpalliativecare.org, addressed to:
African Palliative Care Association
P.O. Box 72518
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Friday 22nd July 2011. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information about APCA and to receive a full job description, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org